Many of you have heard the news that I have been appointed as Labour’s Shadow Minister for Youth Justice.
This is an immense privilege, and I am delighted to become Labour’s voice for children and young people in the justice system. As founder and Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Children in Police Custody, I discovered there were too many instances where children and young people have been let down in the justice system. I have no doubt this has been due to the Conservatives starving the justice system of resources since 2010 as well as their general mismanagement and incompetency.
I am keen to hit the ground running and work with an exciting new Shadow Justice Team which will include:
- Shabana Mahmood MP – Shadow Secretary of State for Justice
- Kevin Brennan MP – Shadow Minister for Victims and Sentencing
- Ruth Cadbury MP – Shadow Minister for Prisons, Parole and Probation
- Alex Cunningham MP – Shadow Minister for Courts and Legal Services
Please know I will do everything I can to highlight the Conservative’s failure and to show how a Labour Government will offer a justice system that will right the wrongs of the past 13 years.
I would, however, also like to reassure you all that I continue to take my responsibilities as the Member of Parliament for Lewisham East very seriously. I will still be raising the concerns of constituents where this is brought to my attention.
Furthermore, I will still be campaigning on issues that are of importance to the local communities. These include:
- Reversing Southeastern’s damaging timetable changes as well as calling for an improvement to their general performance
- Campaign against the proposed closure of four ticket offices across Lewisham East
- Opposing the City Airport application and appeal to expand their flight times which will increase the levels of noise across many areas of the constituency
As I begin my work to help restore trust in the justice system for children and young people, I look forward to keeping you updated. After 13 long years public services and the people they serve across our country have struggled under the Tories, our country as well as Lewisham East deserve better. Better is coming soon!